I normally review books on their own but recently I was in a bit of a slump and also got married, so I decided to create this post. I’ll have quick reviews of books that I read or didn’t finish recently, so that I don’t miss out on sharing my thoughts on them. They’re just simple and short, and hopefully this helps relieve any blogging stress so I can come back fully!
Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
Publisher/Release Date: October 14th 2014 by Balzer + Bray
Pages: 423-given eARC for review
My Rating: DNF (did not finish)
- The romance in this totally killed the book for me. The love triangle felt painful and as soon as it appeared I groaned. I was already having trouble liking the book by that point.
- Right from the beginning I guessed what was going to happen next, at least twice on the dot. It was way too predictable for me.
- I stopped around 50%, it just wasn’t for me and I didn’t really like anything I read.
- The fantasy part could have used more description, I wanted to know more about their world earlier on.
Author: Livia Blackburne
Publisher/Release Date: July 8th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion
My Rating: DNF
- The first half of the book was super good but I felt it slipped after a while, especially when the story-line of the cats came in. After a while I had about 80 pages left and I just couldn’t make myself finish it, I lost all interest. I feel bad but even now it doesn’t bother me that I don’t know how it ended.
- Kyra was an interesting character and I loved all that she could do. Her will to survive and also help others less fortunate is what won me over to her.
- I’m kind of upset that I didn’t finish it, and I think that eventually I will give it another try someday.
Isla and the Happily Ever After
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher/Release Date: August 14th 2014 by Dutton
Finished: October 19th, 2014
My Rating: 4/5
- The whole beginning of the book was just pure sweetness and I loved seeing how they became a couple and fell in love.
- As the book goes on they face a lot of hardships, including being away from each other. I know how hard that is so I could relate with them. While reading you go through so many different emotions!
- I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first books in the series, but it’s a good story and even wraps up some things from the other characters. Definitely worth reading!